Thursday, January 21, 2016

Anchor Charts

Hey y'all! It's Kourtney blogging from Mrs. Payton's Precious Kindergarteners. I don't know about y'all, but my school is all about the Anchor Charts this year.  It might just be us, but there's always something new we've got to focus on.  This year it's the anchor charts.  We are a Learning Focused School and I'll have to save that for another post, but seriously let's talk Anchor Charts.

This is totally my school this year:


Before this year...I thought Anchor Charts were something like these:

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Penguin-Fun-Kindergarten-Unit-Common-Core-Aligned-496792

Now don't get me wrong, my kids NEED these kinds of posters.  They use these types of resources CONSTANTLY.  I will defend myself and my reasoning for having them on the wall...but they aren't Anchor Charts.

Anchor Charts...ARE NOT pre printed.  Take that in for a second.  I know, I know.  I HATE my hand writing.  I want to print all the things.  I want it to have cute clip art.  I don't want to write or draw anything.  Anchor Charts are charts you make with your students that include information, strategies, processes, cues, guidelines, and other content you are teaching for students to refer to.  Since they are helping you make it by contributing information and watching you make it, it is more meaningful and they should use them more often and commit that information to their memory.  Also, you aren't supposed to laminate these..I know GASP! But if the light shines on them the wrong way the kids can't see them correctly and that's a problem too.  Yep, all the Anchor Chart rules.  I didn't make them, but trust and believe this girl follows them.  

So, what do you need to create an Anchor Chart? 

1. Markers!

I prefer these:
Why?  Because they smell and write good.  What could be better.  Also there are 12 colors.  



2. Chart paper.


This is what our school bought us...it's HUGE. Like the Fire Marshall is coming to get you right now huge.  So you can cut it in half or come up with another option.  I used some other chart paper for a minute and then realized I could cut this in half :) 

3. Content.  You can make an Anchor Chart about practically ANYTHING.  Writing and Math are the easiest...but seriously you can make a circle map about ANYTHING!  My kids use the words in these maps in their writing and that's super helpful.  

Here are some that I have up in my room right now.

(By the way, make sure you have designated areas for them...all of your writing ones should be in one area, all the math ones should be in one area etc...it's another one of those rules.)










I didn't come up with all of these on my own.  Some of these came from Pinterest.  No need to reinvent the wheel y'all.  Find an idea and go with it.

Alright...so go and make some Anchor Charts with your kiddos.  I want to make some text connection ones and reading strategy ones next.  It's on my to-do list.  If you have a great one, share it with us! 

Until next time! 





1 comment:

  1. Recent practice shows, that the number of newly established companies with VAT number are not aimed for sale in a regular manner. Thus the new businessmen shall aware of increase of the price for VAT registered companies. https://www.baltic-legal.com/shelf-company-ready-for-sale-eng.htm

    ReplyDelete