Friday, April 17, 2015

Earth Day for Pre-K

Hi, again!  It's Brittany from Precious Steps Preschool!

Today's post is all about a little pre-Earth Day prep to get us in the Go-Green spirit!

The weather here in Western Pennsylvania the past few days has been a little damp, but warm enough to want to be outside.  I took advantage of the soft soil situation today and decided it was time to prep my vegetable garden.  We're talking the no-fun-at-all job of touching it for the very first time since last fall.  There were weeds to pull, landscaping fabric to remove, stones to toss, you name it.  Luckily, I had some helpers!

Aurora and Ava had a blast digging up weeds and making friends with the worms!

After we'd had enough of the sun and dirt for one day, we rushed inside to wash up.  I quizzed the girls on ways we can save the Earth's resources while doing our bathroom routine.  i.e. Which uses more water, a shower or a bath? (It depends!)  What don't we do while brushing our teeth? (Let the water run!)  What are items in the bathroom that we can reduce, reuse, and recycle? (Reduce paper towels by using a hand towel. Reuse toilet paper tubes for crafts at school. Recycle plastic toiletries bottles.)

All that gardening worked up quite the appetite, so we decided on a little Earth Day snack!

Earth Day Rice-Krispie Treat Globes!

This snack was super easy to throw together in about five minutes.  The kids got really involved and loved wearing baggies on their hands (to protect from the heat, coloring, AND icky-sticky mess).


For starters, if you don't have a Rice Krispie Treat recipe memorized by now, I'll let you in on a little secret.  You definitely don't need a recipe.  It's three ingredients:  marshmallows, butter, and krispies.  Empty a bag of marshmallows (big or mini) into a warmed pot.  Add two tablespoons of butter if you're going by the actual recipe.  If you're going by the "I'm grown and do what I want" recipe?  Add as much butter as you like!  I felt the need to do a little extra in honor of my Paula Deen cookware I was using, so I went with five tablespoons of butter.  Melt those two together.  Here's an idea of what it'll look like.




Here's where you'd normally, and I did, add the krispies.  However, in hindsight, I wish I had separated my marshmallow goo and added my food coloring at this step, before adding the krispies.  I just think it would have made the coloring a little more vibrant.  But I jumped the gun and added the krispies at this step as I'm used to doing.  Approximately 6 cups.

Stir together until well incorporated and then serve as you wish.  Most people would push them into a greased 9x13 pan.  But these were special Earth Day globes so we used our colored krispies and rolled them into globes instead!  



Ta-Da!


Last but not least, I recommend you finishing up your Earth Day festivities with some of the activities found in my Earth Day for Pre-K Learning Centers product!  It can be found at my Precious Steps Preschool Store on Teachers Pay Teachers, and it's FREE for the month of April!


Thanks for stopping by!  I'll see you right back here on the 18th of May!



Sincerely,



No comments:

Post a Comment