Friday, January 2, 2015

Winter Art Idea

Hi Everyone, it's Emily from Emmy Mac's Class.
A while back I posted about how I got my students to create a tree. Click HERE to check out the post. 

Today I'm bringing you an entirely different way to make a tree! This is a really easy activity for your students to make and it turns out amazing!

I was inspired by these amazing birch trees by Wee Folk Art. Click HERE or on the picture to see the pin.


I'm not lucky enough to have watercolour paper at my school, so we just used cartridge paper. I also made my pages slightly larger. 

I took a large sheet of cartridge paper and cut it in half the long way.

My first graders taped the paper to their drying rack. Which stops the paper from curling and makes it super easy to tidy up.

Wee Folk Art uses painters tape but, I just used regular masking tape. We used two different widths of tape. I also showed the students how to rip small pieces off.  

The students taped their trees to the paper. 

Because we had used up all of the blue watercolour paint. we brainstormed different colours that the sky could be. The students decided on purples and blacks. The students then painted the background.

Once they had finished painting, we immediately peeled off the tape. SInce, we weren't using painter's tape I was afraid the tape would rip the paper. But, it was fine!

We decided as a class to leave the trees blank (not add the little black birch tree marks). Sometimes Firsties get a little carried away with small details. :)


We also didn't use the kosher salt. But the kids were super excited with how they turned out. 

I hope your students have as much fun as mine did creating their trees. 

Thanks for stopping by!



1 comment:

  1. I soooo love this!! I am putting it on my to-do list for this week!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete